If you’re trying to get on Reality TV attending an open casting call can provide you an opportunity that is near impossible to do otherwise: getting face to face with a Reality TV Casting Producer.
Most Reality TV shows that are talent based (American Idol and X-Factor) only use open casting calls exclusively to select their contestants. Others Reality TV Shows like Big Brother or Survivor use a combination of open casting calls and audition video submissions to find their contestants.
If you are unsure of what an open casting call is be sure to go back and watch this video to get a feel for how one works.
Why You Should Attend a Reality TV Open Casting Call
Open casting calls are great for people who have big personalities, personas, larger-than-life style, and are comfortable in-front of the camera. If that doesn’t sound like you, I always recommend taking the other route.
But before you rule out attending an open casting call because you are camera-shy you need to understand there are a TON of benefits by going:
- You get to show a Casting Producer the full package – everything from head to toe including your outfit and in person energy that can harder to captivate over an audition video.
- There is distinct opportunity to create a connection with a Casting Producer – whether it is through a witty line or mutual dislike for one another you can make an impression at an open call very quickly.
- It’s one of the best ways to prepare for the next round of casting – you have the opportunity to analyze other people at the event and use that information in your audition.
- You will gain experience in front of the camera in public - this can be very valuable because with experience comes confidence, especially in front of the camera.
- It’s worthwhile to see the operation – a casting call is similar to a simplified and less exclusive version of the Semi-finals. It is worthwhile to attend especially if you have NO casting experience at all.
- Exposure to other Reality TV hopefuls – if you are observant, you can see firsthand how other people epically fail at the casting process so you don’t do the same.
Make the Best Decision For You
Ultimately you are in control of your Reality TV casting fate. There are 1001 paths to get on Reality TV. Every path starts somewhere, one of the fastest ways to start your path is to go to an open casting call.
Even if you attend an open casting call and don’t do as well as you would like be sure to take something away from the experience. Don’t beat yourself up if you freeze in front of the Casting Producer, learn from it, and don’t make the same mistake again.