Thinking About Apply for Reality TV? Don’t Apply Without this!

by Dan Gheesling

Write-My-Reality-TV-StoryRight now a lot of Reality TV shows are getting geared up to cast their new seasons.  It is the prime time for hopeful contestants to start applying!

Big Brother recently opened up their online application process (check out the video I did covering the best way to fill out the online application) and other shows are following suit.

There are more Reality TV shows now than ever, which gives you more opportunites to get cast!  The unfortunate thing is, even with more opportunities most Reality TV hopefuls will not take a little time out to drastically increase their chances of getting on Reality TV.

You can do something so simple, to improve your chances, yet most will not take the time to do it.

So What Is It?

If you want to be on a Reality TV show, there is one thing you MUST do before you even think of applying.  It is something most people never even think to do.   Most applicants will throw themselves in the casting process without any sort of planning.

Applying to be on Reality TV is an exciting undertaking, but give yourself a fighting chance to compete in the audition process.

How do you give yourself a fighting chance?

What is the one thing you must do? Build your story.

Why Do You Need A Story?

Have you ever watched a Reality TV show without a story line? Hell no! It would be boring and pointless to watch if there was no storyline to entertain you.  When you are on a Reality TV show, you become a character.

Every good character has an intriguing storyline behind them, whether they realize it or not.  The most memorable characters have the best story lines.  And the casting process is ultimately about selling your story.

The applicants who have the best story lines become the most memorable.

The most memorable applicants actually become the characters on Reality TV.  It is really that simple.

I cannot even begin to imagine how many people kill their shot at being on Reality TV because they walk into casting unarmed with their story.

Right about now you might be thinking: “I don’t have a story.”

My answer to you is: everyone has a story.  Not everyone takes the time to build AND communicate a compelling story.

Start-Applying-For-Reality-TVYour Story Starts With This

Behind every great character is a great story and behind every great story is one powerful motivating factor.  This motivating factor is your ‘why factor.’

Bottom line: Why do you want to be on Reality TV?

There is something burning inside of you that motivates you to want to be on Reality TV. The thing that is burning inside is your personal why-factor.

Essentially, there are five main reasons why someone would want to be on a Reality TV show.

All five reasons are extremely valid, relevant, and motivating.  However, one of the five reasons should never be shared at any point in casting, because it will eliminate you immediately from the entire process.

The Five Why-Factors

The motivation to get on Reality TV can always be boiled down into one of the following why-factors:

• Adventure
  • Challenge
  • Super-fan
  • Money
  • Fame

In a future article we will go more in depth on each of the five why-factors and which one you should never used to develop your story.

Which one of these five why-factors best defines your reason for applying for Reality TV?

Get Started Now

If you want a real shot at getting cast on Reality TV you need to start developing your story.

Start building your story today by defining your why-factor.  This is the center of your story because it is the motivation that drives you to put yourself out there in the casting process.

Thanks for stopping by to read this article, I hope it helped you!

If this is your first time to the site take a minute and preview my story How A Normal Guy Got Cast on Reality TV - reading this story will give you a lot of insight as to what it takes to get cast on Reality TV.

Be sure to come back and check the site out because it  will also be updated a few times a week with new content to help you get cast on Reality TV.

Also if you haven’t had a chance to join the discussion on the Facebook page, go ahead and Like the page now.  I will be answering your questions more indepth on the Facebook page than via Twitter.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this article, or answer any questions you may have.  Leave your comments below, I always do my best to answer them all.

Preview My Story Free:

Learn tips from my story on how to get cast on Reality TV! Sign up now!

{ 25 comments… read them below or add one }

Jon March 19, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Interesting article, its a shame reality shows these days go for how good looking someone is rather than entertainment. Reality shows thinks everyone wants a showmance now days, its a shame but it is true.

Dan Gheesling March 20, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Jon – I think they do the best they can for ratings balancing aesthetics with interesting characters. I can understand your viewpoint thought. Thanks for commenting!

Jennifer Nitcher March 19, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Hi Dan – We’ve spoke on Facebook and Twitter – but had to tell you again how much I love your blogs.
I’ve thought numerous times about applying for Big Brother (I’m 28) – I feel I have a “story” however my biggest fear is being bashed by America if I were to ever make the show.

I live in KC – and plan on attending the casting call out here. Thanks for the advice!!

xox!

Dan Gheesling March 20, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Thanks so much for reading and commenting Jennifer – glad you are enjoying them. If you can get past that fear you will have a better shot at getting cast! Also – anytime you put yourself out there you will have critics, that’s how you know you’re doing something right. ;) You should apply!

Matt Polson March 21, 2012 at 3:25 am

Dan, this is awesome!! :) I so wanna apply next year for Big Brother, and this definitely will help. Big fan of yours from BB10 and I hope everything has gone well since! This is awesome dude! :)

Thanks :)

Matt Polson

Dan Gheesling March 21, 2012 at 3:48 am

Thanks Matt! Hope you enjoy the blog!

Michael Payan March 22, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Hey Dan,
Thanks for putting this whole thing together. Very cool.

What if your motivation is the 1st 4 out of the 5? How do you narrow it down to just one?

Dan Gheesling March 23, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Michael – my pleasure – glad it is helping you. You really have to sit down and figure out – which why-factor will really keep pushing you to get on Reality TV even after you are rejected in the casting process.

Tiffany March 24, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Hey Dan
Thank you tons for the advice you have given especially for someone like myself who is going to audition for Big brother for the first time this year.

I actually have a couple questions that I hope you can answer in regards to the application/applying process.

My first question is, can I do both apply online and go to a casting call?
My second question is, do I need to bring an application to a casting call?
There isn’t a place online to print off an application..yikes lol.

I appreciate your help again and hope to hear a response. Have a great day.

Tiffany

Dan Gheesling March 24, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Tiffany – my pleasure glad you found the site useful!

First question: You can apply for both, but I really wouldn’t recommend it. It can be overkill.
Second question: Usually there is an application online that you will need to print one off and bring with you. Right now there doesn’t appear to be one. I’m guessing they’re going to fix that. It takes forever to fill them out and doing them in person is not the best way to do it.

Hope this helps let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you. :)

Tiffany March 25, 2012 at 4:30 am

Dan,

Thanks for the response and the help. It is grately appreciated :)

I was thinking that would be overkill too. I feel my strong suits are talking and being personable thus I would do better at a casting call rather than sending a video where I feel like I would force myself to reherse it which is something I don’t want to do. That would be bad.

What do you mean by “doing them in person is not the best way to do it” in regards to the long application that has to be taken to the casting call? Sorry if I’m asking so many questions.

I do wonder when they will put an application online that can be printed off. The casting calls are not to far away from starting. I think some of them start at the end of March.

Paula Jenkins March 29, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Each of your blogs gears me up more & more. Please keep giving us insights into the reality world. Thanks Dan!

Dan Gheesling March 29, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Thanks so much for the comment Paula! That gets me fired up – glad you are finding value in the blog posts. :)

Kevin March 30, 2012 at 12:57 am

Dan. Can we make babies? Or at least try to?

*rainbows*

Dan Gheesling March 30, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Sorry Kevin – that right is reserved for my wife. :) Hope all is going well with you – I have seen some of your design work – looking awesome!

Nick September 18, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Amazing. I’m auditioning for BB Canada and this helped me immensely! Thanks Dan!

Krissy September 21, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Hi Dan,
Iv been a fan since 2001, and well no TV for the last 8 yrs. and now just watched BB14! OMG alot has changed since I last watched. I am now more then ever determined to TRY…… Im going to follow your how to info… I will try to keep you posted :)

PS. Great Game! Hope you are still friends with everyone :)

{Pink and Yellow Flowers}

Heather Gardner September 21, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Have to say, I was shocked by your antics on BB14, but have to say, I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT! One of the best BB’s yet – best wishes for continued success to you and your beautiful wife!

Jade September 25, 2012 at 11:55 pm

I love your advice! I’m dying to be a contestant on big brother this upcoming season. I just started watching bb last season, but from the first episode I became hooked. After watching this season I decided that I want to audition but I’m not sure how to approach the video portion of the application. Alls I know is the if I were chosen to be on the show, I would spend my one year wedding anniversary in the bb house (assuming I lasted that long lol). Would you recommend mentioning that in a video?

Jennifer September 26, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Dan – First thing,LOVED BB14 and still think you should have won but hey Ian did a great job too.
I have watched BB since season 1and get the live feeds- also have always wanted to try to get on BB. Even printed out applications every year but never went thru with it. I am a mom of 2 boys they were babies so maybe that’s way. Now they are older 12 & 14. But now I am older and probably wouldn’t make it cause my age and I am also not a model type. But I think I am going to apply online this time. Hey why not,right? If I got on and didn’t get voted out right away I could celebrate my 40th B-Day in the BB house :)
I am a middle child and know how to keep my mouth shut,read people,try not to cause trouble(unless needed ;) ), a little sneaky. I guess a little like you.
Can’t wait to read more from you and get more info.
Thanks for a great season
Jennifer

Aaron September 29, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Hey Dan,
I’ve been reading a lot of your advicei think that I could be an amazing player on BB and that I bring a lot to the table. I know I can’t make a great video and app but I think I’m worried that BB won’t think I’m great.

Anne October 6, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Hiya Dan :)

Anne October 6, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Hiya Dan :) Thank you so much for all you do to help others. Your articles are a great read and very helpful. This will be a long journey for me, I’m in Canada so my choices are limited compared to what’s available in the USA and I’m focusing on BB’s 2nd season in Canada (hope they have a 2nd ROFL) My love & respect for the game is what inspires me most of all, (and of course players like youself , absolutely brilliant play , the funeral!!) ohhhh maybe I just found my “why” the challenge! Yeah :) I’m older and fatter than I was 20 yrs ago but certainly not on my way out!! Again, thank you for all your articles I will read them numerous times…looking forward to your commentary on BB14 that too will be a tremendous help…Much love out to you and your Chelsea (she’s really a sweetheart) Thank you , thank you, thank you for your time and dedication , you are so appreciated! #TeamMistAlways :)

Libby Quackenbush October 7, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Nice, never thought of this approach.. thanks, BUT.. as much as I like this, I ordered(through the email you sent me on 10/3 about..Ever wanted to know what I really thought about the Big Brother 14 Houseguests gameplay?) I used the link provided in that email… hmmmm???? somehow via PayPal it said I ordered your book… I sent you an email but still haven’t heard what to do about the error. Any suggestions?

Anne October 8, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Hiya Dan :) Hope you and Chelsea are doing well. This is a huge challenge and adventure for me (my two why’s prob.) When it comes to me you have to think “teach an old dog new tricks” yes, old (55) not pretty (honest I’ve never been called pretty in my life, thus the “dog” part ROFL is ok you can laugh “with” me) but………I can make people laugh, cry, smile, and do things they may not want to, all in all your average everyday grandma who wants to show her grandchildren they can do anything if they really really want to! I want to get on BB Canada (2nd season not the 1st) and show the world “if there’s a will, there’s a way” I truly love reading all your articles and will continue to do so! You’re not only the best BB player of all time but also the very best inspirational speaker and writer I’ve ever seen. Thank you for any comments and thank you for all your hard work in all that you do! TeamMistLove4Ever