How To Find Out If You Will Be Cast On Reality TV

by Dan Gheesling

How-To-Get-On-Reality-TV-All-InThe Reality TV casting tips and strategies posted are not going to help you get cast on Reality TV.

The How-To Videos and personal advice given in the Spreecast Videos are not going to help you get cast on Reality TV.

The Podcast episodes are not going to help you get cast on Reality TV.

UNLESS you understand these two things…

#1 It’s Not About The Process

Every Reality TV show has a different casting process.

Sometimes you have a phone interview, then a face to face interview, and finally you will be flown somewhere for a Final interview.

Sometimes you fly right away to a Final interview.

AND sometimes you don’t do ANY of these things.

The point is: every Reality TV show’s casting process is DIFFERENT and always EVOLVING.

Which means one thing: there is nothing you can do about how the process works.

What you can do is gain knowledge to help prepare yourself for the interviews no matter what order they happen in.

Don’t expect something to happen and don’t worry about “what’s next.”

Spend your time focused on how you are going to perform in your interview and the stories you are going to tell.

#2  You Need To Make A Decision

Either you want to get on a Reality TV show, or you don’t.  It’s that simple.

Time after time I will get an e-mail from someone who is frustrated after applying for a Reality TV show and didn’t get a call back.

More often than not they swear they will never try out for another Reality TV show again.

I understand your frustration, it IS tough getting rejected.  It is even tougher putting yourself out there to be rejected multiple times!

But if you QUIT applying for a Reality TV show that is your decision, no one else’s.

To someone who quits I would ask them, “I guess you really didn’t want it that bad, huh?”

Either you’re willing to do what it takes to get on Reality TV or you’re not.

Don’t bother applying, unless you are ALL IN.

Stop reading right now unless you are ALL IN.

Now What?

If you decide you’re all in, there is hope for you.

Now you have to go out and do something about it.

Not sure what to do?

Do any ONE of these things this week:

• Go to an Open Casting call for a Reality TV show in your area (even if you don’t want to be on it) and gain some casting experience.
  • Use your cell phone camera, or FlipCam and record yourself telling your casting story.  Watch it.  See what looks boring and shoot it again with more energy.  Watch it again.  Shoot it again.
  • Find another way to improve your casting game – read one of the articles, preview  How A Normal Guy Got Cast On Reality TV, and most importantly TAKE ACTION on it.

I’m glad you finished reading this article, now go do something about it.

If you want even more actionable Reality TV casting advice and tips, join the mailing list. But only join the mailing list if you’re all in.

Preview My Story Free:

Learn tips from my story on how to get cast on Reality TV! Sign up now!

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

Aaron H April 23, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Hi Dan,

I’ve made the decision to tryout for Survivor and Big Brother as long as the shows are on the air. I’ll go to any open casting call that’s within reasonable driving distance. The shows aren’t going to come to me, so I have to go to them.

Some people might think I’m wasting my time but I see it differently. I don’t want to be an 80 year old man and be like, “I wish I’d tried out for those shows. Maybe I could’ve gotten on.” At least if I try and don’t get on, I know it wasn’t meant to be.

I’ve been rejected multiple times but you just have to have a tough skin. I bombed my first Big Brother casting call. I didn’t let it stop me though and used it as a learning experience.

Keep up the good work Dan!

Dan Gheesling June 6, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Keep up that attitude Aaron! It was nice meeting you at the open casting call!

Colleen April 24, 2012 at 7:19 am

Dan,
You know what? What you’ve said, minus the reality tv part, could fit any situation in life where you have something you want, need and are just a little intimidated by what you might have to do to get it. I liked this one, it’s awesome! You’re basically stating the fact “Either you’re ALL IN….. or you’re out”
Simple truth.
Loved this!.
C’ya!
Coll ;) Have a great day ! ;)

Dan Gheesling June 6, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Very true Colleen! Glad you liked this article!

coty August 6, 2012 at 1:18 am

I’ve applied to be on cmt reality show Redneck Island. I received a phone call from the casting director and did a phone interview. I apparently did well with it and they wanted to do a Skype interview. I aced that. Now awaiting the next process to start! This is nerve racking! Lol

Madison August 15, 2012 at 6:47 am

Even though I am very young, and many, MANY, years away from being on any reality TV show that I actually like, it’s still nice to know that there is hope, and this article will hopefully help me in the future!

Kim September 16, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Hi Dan
I certainly appreciate any help with being casted for Big Brother Canada.
I have never tried out before. Does everyone bomb the 1st time around or can i be optimistic about being picked? I will consider your advice and work every angle possible to be successful. YES, I’M IN!!!
Kim

Stephen Rogers September 20, 2012 at 10:27 am

Mr. Gheesling
Thanks for a super summer on big brother 14. As a teacher myself In a special needs class. I can see the strong drive you have for teaching others. Keep on do a super job.
Stephen Rogers
Srogers@gmail.com
Fletcher Elementary
Fletcher NC

Devin Caraway September 26, 2012 at 1:00 am

Hey Dan, I just wanted to say first off u played a great game in BB 14 and I think you are the best player to ever play BB! I’m only 15 but I am auditioning for BB as soon as I’m 21! Do you think the show will still be going by then? i sure hope so! I’ve learned a lot from what you have posted and I haven’t had the opportunity to read your book, but I hopefully will be able to soon! Your advice is great and it has really motivated me to audition for BB some day! Thanx for all you have done and keep it coming!

Jordan September 28, 2012 at 4:32 am

Hey Dan,
First thing I wanted to say was cangrats on your performance this year, you did a really awesome job.

Secondly I just wanted to say I really appreciate what your doing this website, this is my first time trying out for a reality TV show and this website has given me so much insight and I feel a little bit more confident now that I won’t be going to this open casting call on Sunday blindly.

Who knows, maybe this kid from Windsor will luck out and make it on Big Brother Canada and have this website to thank.

So thank you for making this website!

Vinny.N September 30, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Yo Dan,
my dad is trying for big brother season 15 what are they particularly looking for?
what character traits are they looking for in a person?

KD October 1, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Big Brother is my destiny. Thanks for the inspiration, Dan, you’re game is unlike anything I’ve ever seen & really inspired me to finally apply this year. So excited for what’s to come :) Good luck in all you do, you rock!

-KDJ

Debra Taylor de Sanchez October 5, 2012 at 2:02 am

Hi Dan!
LOVE YOU! I’m a 50 years old woman, and I’ve watched BB since the beginning! I’m a HUGE fan! I have wanted to apply to BB for years, but never did it. I now think Im to old, plus I wouldn’t even know what to do for a casting video. I think i put way to much thought, and you know its all about standing out! They haven’t casted someone 50+ in a few seasons. And wonder if someone my age (50) would have a shot….I’m all in! Thank you!